Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Oh Oracle...Please just answer me this.....

4/17/2016 - Delphi, Greece

We visited the Oracle of Delphi today which was located at an important crossroads between north and south Greece. It was called the "navel (belly button) of the world.  Ancient Greeks and foreign kings and military leaders came here to worship Apollo and have their most perplexing questions answered.  The priest interpreted for the gods who gave very vague answers.  I asked the oracle if I would ever fulfill my life's desire to visit the coldest , most desolate continent of Antarctica.  I was served iced with my beverage for lunch which was the first time al week, so I am taking that as an indication that the gods are in my favor on this one.
Decoration for the Temple of Apollo found by archeologists and now
located in the museum at Delphi.  This is a scene from the Illiad.
Temple of Apollo ( The oracle would have been
located at the back of this temple)



1 comment:

  1. I love the question and the sign to your answer! :) The oracle has always been such an interesting concept to me. Your pictures and posts are great- very cool to see what you're seeing!
    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete