Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Elephant Camps and Hill Tribes


 

ELEPHANT CAMP 


This morning was quite thrilling because we were able to visit an elephant camp and take a ride through the rivers and woods.  The entry into the water was quite steep and it was a bit scary at first but after about ten minutes it actually felt quite natural to be on top of these amazing and intelligent animals.  We trod through the waters and paths for about forty five minutes.  Along the way there was a few elephant “drive-in’s” where you could buy sugar cane and bananas for your elephant for about 20 baht.  
At the elephant camp, there was a brief elephant show in which they kicked soccer balls into a goal, shot a basket and painted some really impressive paintings.  It blew me away that an elephant could paint a picture of a tree or even more astoundingly, a painting of a tree and the back of an elephant.
Next we went on a traditional bamboo raft trip down the river, encountering a few mild rapids.  We had a great time interacting with our boatmen and looking at the villages along the banks where some of the “Mahout” (elephant  handlers lived with their families).  The Mahouts are very important because they will be with that one elephant for their lives.  Elephants are animals that have very tight social networks not only with other elephants but with humans as well.  

One hundred years ago there were about 20,000 elephants in Thailand.  Today there are about 4500 which are all protected animals who no longer life in the open jungle.  When an elephant is born in Thailand,  it gets a baby elephant birth certificate in which it’s picture, name and the DNA of itself, mother and father are noted. 
HILL TRIBE VILLAGE
Our next adventure entailed driving for a short while and then we loaded into the back of an open air truck with bench seats to get up to the Hill Tribe Village in which most are from the mountainous regions of Mynmar (Burma).  The most famous of the hill tribes are the “Padong” whose women wear the brass rings around their necks starting from the age of three, well  throughout their adult life.  The first year seven rings are put around the young child’s neck and then thereafter, one for each new year.  At some point the rings are exchanged out for new ones as the width of the young girl’s neck widens.  You may be be wondering why this is important to the Padong culture.   It is said that many, many years ago in Burma where this tribe is from, there were many tigers in the woods and they were known for biting off just the heads of people it killed to eat.  The rings were put on to discourage the tiger from biting into a woman’s neck.  The second reason is for beauty.  The men think their women are beautiful when they wear the neck rings.  When a Padong women is not in her village , she will wrap very pretty scarves around her neck.  Many people think the necks of the Padong women are elongated but in actuality, the rings actually push down on the shoulders and collar bones.  Most Padong women will have about 42 brass rings on the neck and these rings can be taken off at anytime without any harm to the women’s neck or health. I took a photo of a grandmother who had huge metal disks in her ears.  I did not see any of the younger women wearing these disks so was wondering if this is still a common practice with the Padong.
I was surprised to notice a Catholic Church at the highest point of the village.  Our guide relayed that all the people of the three tribes were Christian .  It was neat to see that the little covenant that holds the “host” (for the ritual of breaking of the bread for Christians) had a temple like design to it. 

21 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs.Verra,
    I liked the idea of an elephant drive-in. The fact that the elephants can paint and play soccer is astonishing. You posted that when an elephant is born, it gets a birth certificate. But how do people know when an elephant is born if it's not in a zoo?
    - Sarah Kang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All elephants in Thailand are now in elephant camps. There are no longer elephants wandering freely in the jungle, although the elephant camps are huge and the elephants have very large tracts of land where they live and roam.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs.Verra,
    I thought that the elephant rides sound so fun! I love elephants, they are my favorite animals and I've ridden them a few times. But going in to the river sounds like so much fun! I was wondering if the rings on the Padong women harm them at all, is wearing the the rings hazardous to their health?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love elephants as well. They are one of the most intelligent animals on earth and they are very emotional and loyal. When a member of their elephant family dies, they actually cry. Did you know that you can come to Thailand and go to an elephant camp for a week and learn how to care for elephants? Our Thai tour guide does a lot of volunteer work for an elephant conservation group and leads those tours as well. Put it on your bucket list my young friend!

    The rings do not harm the women and can be taken off any time they want to. For the older women, they do bruise their necks a little due to the weight though. Padong women have the choice to wear them these days unlike years ago when it was mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs. Verra,
    Your trip sounds so interesting. I am amazed at how well an elephant can paint! I would have never guessed that it was an elephant if I was never told. How long did it take them to make one picture though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda,
    It takes the elephants about 15 minutes to complete a painting. I am actually bringing back one of the pairings for our classroom, so you will get to see it up close. The really interesting thing is that elephants see in black and white so the animal handler (called the Mahout) has to select the colors for the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it cool that wen an elephant is born it is assigned a care taker that takes care of it for their whole life

      Delete
    2. Hey Luke, these people (mostly men) are called "Mahouts" and they become very close to their elephants. Our tour guide said then when his grandfather died, the elephant that was on their farm actually cried. Elephants are very social and loyal animals.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how the elephants can do all that! They must have brains the size of a soccer ball in order to do that. What did the texture of the elephant's skin feel like?

    I thought the part about the Hill Tribe was extremely interesting. Are the brass rings still used to protect their necks from tigers? There are less tigers now than there were even 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The elephant's skin is very, very tough. They actually sweat through their toes because their skin is so tough. Women wear the rings now more for decoration and because it is an important part of their culture. They do not need to protect themselves from wild tigers anymore. Thanks for your question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Ms. Verra,
    The elephant ride must have been absolutely thrilling. My aunt has her own pet elephant! I was also stunned by how beautifully the intelligent animals can paint, I can't paint half as good as that! The rings that the woman wear also intrigue me a lot, especially knowing that the rings don't harm the woman. Did the men not wear rings? Did they not need protection? Also, just a general question, but is there any small aspect of your normal daily routine that you are missing in Thailand? Something you would do every day in America, maybe mechanically, that you're not doing in Thailand?

    ~Eva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva , I am surprised to find out that your aunt has her own pet elephant! Wait until you see the elephant painting I am bringing to class this week. I am not sure but maybe the men didn't need as much protection because they had weapons. The two things I miss most about my daily routine is first, not being able to kiss my own kids and husband goodnight every night and hear about their day and secondly, is not having much "down time". We have a very ambitious schedule of activities each day which is terrific but sometimes it is hard to get caught up with my journals/blogs and sleep I love traveling personally but I also see it as work because I use my experiences, pictures and artifacts I collect to create classroom lessons. Sometimes I wish I had more time to reflect on the amazing daily experiences that I am having. We have been staying in very nice hotels so for the most part it has been pretty easy to connect to WIFI and charge electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mrs.Verra!
    I loved reading about your elephant post! I found it amazing on how they could paint a picture like that! Would you ever ride an elephant again?
    -Marisa Cofone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I would ride an elephant again in a minute! It was very exciting and fun! I am bringing to class an elephant painting for you to see. I have a photo of the elephant who actually painted the one I will be showing you.

      Delete
  11. Wow! I found extremely interesting that the elephants could do all of that! I never knew that elephants were so intelligent and artistic! It amazes me. I hope you're having a great time!
    Jenna Willwerth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mrs.Verra!
    I hope that you're having a great time in Thailand. I read your post about the elephants and I think that it is so fascinating how elephants can play sports and paint! I'd love to see that! I bet riding the elephants was a lot of fun too! How many people rode an elephant at a time? Also, was the ride smooth or a bit bumpy? I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you come back! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two people plus the elephant handler (Mahout) ride on the elephant. The handler rides on the head/neck of the elephant and we rode on a little basket on his back. I have a picture of myself on an elephant to show you. The ride was pretty bumpy , especially going up and down steep hills.

      Delete
  13. Hi Mrs. Verra!
    I am so fascinated by this post because I never knew that elephants were inteligent enough to do things humans can do! This post really caught my eye. The fact that elephants can kick soccer balls and paint realistic pictures, made me really want to see it for myself! Were the elephants listening to the instructions of the instructor? Or did they remain calm and safe, but kind of "do there own thing"? I can't wait to here more about this. Enjoy and see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elephants were listening to commands from their handlers while painting and doing the sports tricks. I was most impressed when the elephant picked up a soccer ball with its trunk, flipped it over its head and then kicked it with its back foot. Can you imagine what it could have done with a hockey stick?

      Delete
  14. Hi Mrs. Verra!

    Your input about the elephants and the amazing things they can do was my favorite piece of the blog. I was wondering, as the elephants who can paint get older, do their paintings become better or more detailed as they mature or become more experienced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Sophie...they seem to paint just two different things ...the tree or the tree with an elephant. The second painting was much more detailed so I am not sure if they all can do that. They also paint fabric that are then made into really cool little elephant stuffed animals.

      Delete